If you suspect that someone you love is suffering from a gambling problem, it's natural to want to help. Just remember that it's up to the individual to seek help. It must be their choice, and only when they're ready. What you can do is offer support by following the tips below.
- Learn about help and support available before approaching the person.
- Prepare examples of how the person's gambling has had a negative impact on you and others.
- Remember that the behaviour is the problem, not the person.
- Communicate using "I" messages without being judgmental (e.g., "When you do this, I feel...")
- Be supportive and offer resources if the person is open to getting help.