Learn the Warning Signs
The first step in getting help is recognizing the problem.
If gambling has stopped being a fun, affordable activity for you or a loved one, it may be time to take a closer look.
Know the Signs
The signs below may indicate a problem. The more signs a person shows, the greater the likelihood that he or she may have lost control of their gambling.
- Gambling for longer and longer periods of time.
- Lying about the extent of gambling involved.
- Often missing work or school to gamble.
- Neglecting personal or family responsibilities to gamble.
- Using gambling as an escape.
- Gambling with money needed for paying bills.
- Believing the "big win" will bring gambling under control.
Some Signs of Problem Gambling
Which of these behaviours may be signs of a problem?
One More Thing
Please remember, if you recognize these behaviours in you or someone else and are concerned that a problem exists, there is help. To learn more, contact the 24-hour, toll free Alberta Health Services Addiction Helpline at 1-866-332-2322.